Raspberry Doughnut with Lemon glaze & Pistachio (Vegan + Gluten Free)
I’ve been rather inspired by a lot of people I’ve been following on Instagram lately- particularly those who document urban living and quiet mornings in their favorite coffee shop… Documenting every picturesque breakfast complete with a good read, matcha latte, and of course, an artisanal warm and delicious handcrafted fluffy doughnut. I immediately went online to look for a place where I can pick up some artisanal doughnuts in unique flavors. I mean how hard could that be right? A doughnut shop that sells hand made doughnuts in miami ** Que record scratch** NO DOUGHNUT SHOP IN MIAMI DADE COUNTY OTHER THAN A THAT OF A FOOD CHAIN?!?!?
Days and weeks passed by and I was continuously tortured by the sight of delicious doughnuts on my Instagram feed. That was until one day I thought enough was enough! Time to get cookin ;)
This recipe is gluten free and vegan, but I guarantee it does not lack in flavor or consistency. Mom says I hit it out of the park with this one, and I’m not gonna lie… she’s right. I decided to name it the "Raspberry CistruStache” since I fused a bunch of flavors like raspberry, lemon, coconut, vanilla and pistachio together- which by the way totally kicks Dunkin Doughnuts and Krispy Kreme's ass. Yes I said it.
Baked Vanilla Donuts
- 1½ cups Gluten free flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup, plus 2 tablespoons Almond or coconut milk (I used coconut milk)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup cane sugar ... (I didn't have cane sugar the first time so I used about 1/4 cup of agave instead which came out AMAZING as well)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon pure almond extract
Fresh Raspberry Glaze
- ½ cup fresh or frozen (thawed) raspberries
- coconut oil (I added a little so it would harden quicker in the fridge)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- teaspoon of lemon juice
- To make the baked vanilla donuts, preheat oven to 375ºF and spray two 6-well donut pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together coconut milk beverage or almond milk and vinegar, stirring until curdled. Add sugar, oil, vanilla and almond extract. Stir in flour mixture until just combined.
- Spoon batter into a plastic zippered bag (or piping bag) and cut tip. Pipe the batter into prepared donut pans.
- Bake donuts for 16-18 minutes, until golden brown and baked through. Turn out onto cooling rack.
- To make the raspberry glaze, place raspberries in fine mesh sieve. Press raspberries through sieve, catching all of the juices. Discard the seeds.
- Add powdered sugar to pressed raspberry puree. Whisk until smooth. Add vanilla and almond extract, stirring until combined.
- When donuts are mostly cool, dip tops into glaze to coat and let set for 10-15 minutes. Donuts are best served right away or same day. If not serving donuts right away, wait to glaze until ready to enjoy.